If you've found the show helpful to you, please help defray the operating costs by making a donation. No amount is too small. Thank you.

Want to send feedback to the show? Email me at behindthebarshow@gmail.com


CLICK HERE for a list of every episode and to SUBSCRIBE!

Monday, March 06, 2006

I got my new audio equipment!


Here it is! I have my new microphone with pop filter and shock mount. I've already tested it and oh does it sound better! I think I can finally say goodbye to that horrible static. That's what I get for trying a Radio Shack microphone. This new mic rocks!

Okay, here's the deal. I just recorded the next show (Brandy) yesterday. Now I'm stuck wondering if I should do it over or not. If the brandy episode ends up with just as much static as the tequila show then you'll know I didn't get a chance to re-record it but you can guarantee the next show is going to sound better.

Cheers!

5 comments:

tdkme said...

Your equipment looks confusing. Thanks for taking one for the team to invest in entertaining us!

Anonymous said...

So... what's the cocktail you've got there hiding behind the equipment? :)

Mr. Martini said...

That is a manhattan. Maker's Mark Bourbon, Sweet Vermouth and Angostura bitters with a cherry sitting pretty at the bottom of the glass.

Sidecar said...

Ironically, since you've invested in this equipment to make your show sound best, I would suggest to "downgrade" the bit rate you are recording in. From what I see, your podcasts are transmitted at 96kbps. I have found, for vocals only, 64kbps is plenty good. Some encoders even allow you to "optimise for voice".

Why suggest the difference? 96kbps files are around 50% larger than 64kbps files! That results in a longer download time for the listener. Also, it takes up more space in my iPod (I roll with a mini--only 6gigs, but I liked the form factor the best). I don't know who pays for your bandwidth, but if you are, then file size would also be a considerartion there.

Love the show!

Mr. Martini said...

Hey Sidecar,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll set my next show to 64kbps and we'll see how it goes.

I've got bandwidth under control but I definitely would like to keep the files as small as possible for my listeners.

Thanks again!