If you've found the show helpful to you, please help defray the operating costs by making a donation. No amount is too small. Thank you.

Want to send feedback to the show? Email me at behindthebarshow@gmail.com


CLICK HERE for a list of every episode and to SUBSCRIBE!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Episode 033 - Cocktails in Italy

Here's my first episode since coming back from Italy. I had a wonderful time and had some great cocktails while there. On this episode, I get into quite a bit of listener feedback, my cocktail experiences in Venice and Florence, Italy and what I thought of Harry's Bar; birth place of the bellini. Finally, I finish off with a bonus on a quick visit over to St. George Spirits.

This episode also has two bonus cocktail recipes. Here they are:

Zen Maker #2 (still working on a name for this.)
3 parts Hangar One Mandarin Blossom Vodka
2 parts Qi White Tea Liqueur
2 parts Dubbonet Rouge
1 part Qi Black Tea Liqueur
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Flame an orange peel, twist it over the drink, rub it on the rim of the glass and drop it in.

White Velvet (Created by Lou Bustamante, tasting room manager at St. George Spirits.)
1 1/2 oz Qi White Tea Liqueur
3/4 oz Hangar One Mandarin Blossom Vodka
1/2 fresh lime, juiced
1/2 oz Velvet Felarnum
Combine Qi, Mandarin Blossom vodka, Velvet Falernum, and lime juices in a
shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with lime
wheel.

3 comments:

C. Llyr Proctor said...

Since it has both black and white tea , why not call it the Yin-Yang Zen Maker.

OddAngelCharon said...

My household suggested "Buddhist Panda", but this was after a couple Dark-n-Stormys each (the real deal, with bitters and ginger beer) after which we tend to get a little silly.

Still looking for Qi out here. It sounds amazing ...

From behind the bar at the Palace of Wonders~

Charon*

P.S. Thank you so much for the shout out! You are the very first person to have pronounced my name correctly on the first try. You rock!

Mr. Martini said...

Charon is in greek mythology. (Have you ever ferried a boat before?) :)

I only know Qi is distilled at St. George Spirits, the same people who make Hangar One. I don't know who they distribute through. Maybe I can find out. If a place carries Hangar One, I would think they should be able to get Qi as well then.

Ever since my bit on Qi, I've started receiving liqueurs. Some of them are quick interesting and complex made with interesting ingredients. If I try something I think is unbelievable or interesting, I'll mention it on the show.

As for naming the Zen Maker #2, I'm receiving some really good name suggestions. Thank you all.

Charon, I believe some of the best ideas come to us when we're "a little silly."

Ooh, with the bitters too! Why is it that many places and people are shying away from bitters? The complexity it can add to a beverage is wonderful! That's why the original term, "cocktail," is base alcohol, mixer, bitters and water."

Thanks again, Charon!